Community Post #176 - Friendship Reigns on Reddit

Discussion in 'Community Posts' started by Tyro D. Fox, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Tyro D. Fox

Tyro D. Fox Ho, hog, heg! I can does Game Dev thing, yes!
    Admin Veteran

Bro hoofs Received:
    Student
    Earth, Milky Way, A few thousand dots to the right
    [​IMG]
    Community Post #176

Have you heard about this? It's honestly kinda sweet. Apparently, the Reddit Communities for Team Fortress 2 and Splatoon 2 have been making friendly gestures towards each other. As someone that's a fan of both games, it's pretty sweet to see all the memes and jokes going back and forth as people appear to intermingle.

It's pretty lovely. And kinda funny, especially with Payday 2's reddit joining in, apparently. I play all three, though TF2 the most. And while I am slowly managing to learn how to make sure I don't rocket jump around like a bleedin' idiot, it's nice to see something good come out of TF2 that isn't related to the endless bots.

I love this game but there's a reason why Deep Rock Galactic has been my go-to during quarantine. Seriously, if you have the hardware and the cash, and at least don't mind jumping in on randos, I'd say 'space-dwarf job simulator' is worth a go!

Anyway, I haven't got anything big or elaborate this time round. I figured I'd share something substantial when I have it and I haven't. Plus, the big thing about yammering on about the Beano didn't seem to interest.

But I did have something of an idea for something we could do together. OK, hear me out:

Community Tabletop Game

So, how about this: I'll be DM for an adventure where you guys are able to collaborate and vote on the actions of a character you will be able to interact with. We can do it like a 'choose your own adventure' so I'll try to embellish actions to ensure there's as much as possible to read and process before I'll come back to you guys for input. We'll run it in Cortex Plus, and I'll be rolling for you (though, I'll keep you abreast of what's going on dice and mechanics wise). Otherwise, it'll be down to you. Which means: Character Creation!! Yay!

...My transformation into Twilight Sparkle progresses faster every day...

Setting And Story

Naturally, we'll be in the MLP setting...Mostly. I've always liked this particular idea and always enjoyed the idea of the story I wanted to tell. Tried it as an RP in the forum once but eh. Special times, huh? Why not?!

The Community Character

So, now we'll need some decisions now. Here is where I would start making you go through the book and pick out stats and such but I think we'll be here all day. Instead, I think we need some creative writing from you guys. You make the character, I'll make the character sheet. Deal? We can quibble over individual stats based on what you guys vote on.

So, what we need is something to explain why 'you', your character, has been chosen. What exceptional thing did they achieve? What made them visible to the Royal Guards and possibly The Princess herself? What makes them the best suited for a life in the service of the Princess of the Moon? Heck, what's on her flank? A dagger? A magnifying glass? A puppy? The lost treasure of King Epona? Think 'Pony Men-In-Black' sort of thing. That's the group they'd be joining.

I'll have a poll to add ideas for answers and where you can vote on those submitted. You can also most them below, and like ones you think are worth looking at. You can also make a post elsewhere on the site and tag it with 'Community Character' then vote on that. I'll come back in a week from now to tot up what we have so far and present the character that you've voted on.

You can also submit these via PM but I will then post them elsewhere so they can be voted on along with everyone else. If you'd like to make any art, please post that to. Let's see what happens shall we? Remember, the more detail, the better.

Also, consider the idea of a 'knife'. These are things in your backstory that are problematic, chaotic or downright unpleasant. Something that can be brought up by your DM (me) to cause drama! So, an age old enemy that swears revenge! A dark secret that threatens to blow up at any moment! A past shame you can't admit to!

Melodramatic as hell or somewhat heartbreaking: all is good.

That said, please remember that we're pretty strictly PG-13. Keep it within the rules of the site, OK?

LINK TO POLL

The way this will work is that you can submit answers to this poll and then others can vote on added answers. And you can vote for your own. Hope this works out folks.

OK, over and out. Please, answers and ideas below.

2. Azeth

Azeth ☆Demon of Misery☆
    Old-Timer

Bro hoofs Received:
    Spiritualist
    That's cool that the TF2 and Splatoon communities can get along that~ It's quiet the marvel when stuff like this happens~

The DnD idea does sound fun. Though I am not certain if I'll be apart of it though. But I do hope you get plenty of players for this though~

3. Tyro D. Fox

Admin Veteran

Bro hoofs Received:
    Student
    Thanks. And yeah, it's just been kinda nice to see. Can we get in on this? It seems fun. And our kinda thing.

4. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Do you like bananas?
    Admin egg Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    ETL Developer
    I responded as other in the poll. but I'm not sure it worked... It doesn't show, maybe has to be approved or something?

5. Fenris Rose

Fenris Rose Going Through Changes
    Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Reddit and Friendship is an odd combination of words.

Tyro D. Fox bro hoofs this.
  6. Tyro D. Fox

Admin Veteran

Bro hoofs Received:
    Student
    Ehhh, what did you write? I'm not seeing anything new but I do see a new vote or two.