Season 4: Episode 24: Equestria Games.

Discussion in 'Season 4 Discussion' started by VG_Addict, May 3, 2014.

1. Shire

Shire Practically Part of the Site Itself

Bro hoofs Received:
    Purely from a Spike episode perspective, I liked it. It was nice to see him getting some recognition, as well as having his moment as the hero of the Crystal Empire, twice. The whole thing played out well, including the hilariously cringe inducing version of the Cloudsdale anthem. In general I've been happy to see Spike getting a bit more of the spotlight and develop a bit more. Also, reading the other comments, apparently there were a lot of guest appearances that I totally missed, gona have to watch it again and play spot the pony.

However, after all the build up over the past season, it's disappointing that the Equestria games ended up taking a backseat. I understand that they want to keep focus on the main cast. Since Rainbow and Fluttershy only competed in one event, it makes sense that only the relay race would really be shown. But still, I kinda wish they did something similar to what Just for Sidekicks and Games Ponies Play did. Having one episode that centered around Spikes side of the story, and another that followed the ponies, essentially making another Rainbow, Fluttershy, Bulk Biceps episode. It still makes sense to really have only the relay shown, but there could have been more to it. All the setup, Fluttershy having to deal with her inevitable pre jitters, Rainbow and Spitfire engaging in a little good sport trash talk, and just more time to drag the race on, making it all super dramatic. Throw in some Cutie Mark Crusaders, crazy cheering Pinkie, unhappy Twilight stuck with her royal duties, and some Spike as the stories cross over, and it would have made for a much more satisfying ending to the Equestria games story arc I think.

Overall a good episode, but bittersweet knowing what could have been done with it ... and also knowing that now there is only one episode left :sad:

#21 Shire, May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  2. Princess Twilight Sparkle

Princess Twilight Sparkle The Cake Eater
    New Pony

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Totally agree. It makes sense that they could of put the Equestria games into 2 Episodes after all the hype. The games really needed more context instead of being Spike-centered. I'm not even sure how long the games go on for. I presume 3 days but the episode made it look like It lasted a day.

3. Tempest Wind

Tempest Wind Princess of the Forum
    Veteran

Bro hoofs Received:
    I liked this part.

[​IMG]

Imagine if that guy hit someone with that arrow. :dunno:

4. mike406

mike406 Moderator
    Community Moderator Tech Staff Veteran

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Maybe when they unlock the box they can seal Spike inside. :D

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

5. Fenris Rose

Fenris Rose Going Through Changes
    Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    [​IMG]

6. Rockout E. Stringer

Rockout E. Stringer Feelin' guitty!!
    Community Moderator egg Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Graphic Artist
    [video=youtube;QVssgfHwNHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVssgfHwNHc[/video]

7. Fenris Rose

Fenris Rose Going Through Changes
    Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Um... well... yes.
    Yes I am.

8. Rockout E. Stringer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Graphic Artist
    Whoops! Meant to quote [MENTION=1543]mike406[/MENTION]!

9. Aulos

Aulos Winds ღ
    New Pony

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Music Student
    At first, I thought this was just a cringeworthy episode for Spike (particularly the anthem part) but looking back on it, it all makes sense.

Stage fright is something I have had to deal with.. In fact, truth be told, I have not overcome it. I am much better at playing chamber parts in ensembles (meaning I'm the only one playing my part, and my instrument is the only one playing that part) than I used to be, but being up in front of a crowd completely by myself scares me to death.

What a terrible type I am to be a musician, I know.. But something drives me back to it. The stage fright is something I have to overcome, because I love playing music and my instruments.

Anyway, sorry for that tangent, my point is that it made Spike very relatable to me. However, when the anthem part came up, I was like "What? Spike? Nooo... That's just..." However, even that makes sense. It's not something I can relate with, but I can imagine that, having been overcome with failure, he just had to try to redeem himself, and he had to take any opportunity he could seize. That was not a good choice, at all, but... We all make stupid mistakes.

So, in the end, I feel like I actually liked the characterization of Spike in this episode. In fact, that's the most I've seen Spike really be a character in quite some time. Sure, the last episode was Spike-centric. However, it was the standard "I love Rarity, so I'll do anything for her" kind of characterization (that we've already seen), which while being amusing, doesn't really do much for him being a likable, relatable character.

Sure, it's strange that this event was really led up to be a big deal for Rainbow Dash and the others, but then turned out being a Spike episode. However, Spike needed an episode like this, so I'll take it.

10. Rockout E. Stringer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Graphic Artist
    When was that screenshot?

11. Rarit E

Rarit E *clank*clank*clank*clank*
    Deactivated Banned Blank Flank

Bro hoofs Received:
    Cheerilee seems to have a twin sister though. :p

And why the frig is Cherry Jubilee sitting in the royalty box? :dunno:

12. mialybolt

mialybolt fangirl

Bro hoofs Received:
    I really enjoyed this episode. The only thing I have to complain about is I wish it would've focused more on the Cutie Mark Crusaders than Spike. 9/10.