An RPG for bronies I wrote.

Discussion in 'General Creations' started by Flippyman, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Flippyman

Flippyman Great Overlord Assistant Manager

Bro hoofs Received:
    Writer and ice cream tester
    Hi,

I wrote an RPG for bronies and it was picked up and published by a company. It's called Tiny Horsies.

http://amzn.to/2aUuboV

You can see the Character Sheet here:

http://imgur.com/a/tFHEl

Here's a review by a podcast about games:

http://bit.ly/2j6v0NB

And a review by a guy who is not a brony but bought the game to play with his kids. Please note that I fixed a few things based on feedback, so some issues aren't there anymore:

Part 1, General
    http://hujraadjohaansen.blogspot.mx/2015/08/tiny-horsies-roleplaying-game-review.html

Part 2, Character Creation
    http://hujraadjohaansen.blogspot.mx/2015/08/a-review-of-tiny-horsies-role-playing.html

Part 3, Mechanics
    http://hujraadjohaansen.blogspot.mx/2015/08/rpg-review-tiny-horsies-role-playing.html

Part 4, Magic
    http://hujraadjohaansen.blogspot.mx/2015/08/rpg-review-tiny-horsies-role-paying.html

I really wanted to create a game that didn't use combat as the only or main recourse for PCs. The game really involves using non-combat abilities to solve puzzles and develop relationships, although you can still kick butt if you want. In every testplay that I've had, there hasn't been a single time that players haven't solved the adventure without fighting.

My favorite moment was when two girls (6 and 10) playing the game found a bag of coins that the villain (a thief) left behind. It was supposed to be a reward for finding his place. They decided to forget about the adventure and try to find the rightful owners of the bag in order to return it. How sweet is that?

I've been thinking about making videos of people playing the game, but I don't know how to go about it and I'm also too embarrassed to be on camera, and even just my voice.

Anyway, I'm looking for ways to promote it. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I don't have much of a budget, so I would like any feedback on whether paying for ads give actual results.

#1 Flippyman, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    FastRiff bro hoofs this.
  2. Fenris Rose

Fenris Rose Going Through Changes
    Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Try buying ad space on Derpibooru or Eqd. It's not expensive, and those sites probably have the highest traffic of any brony site.

3. Flippyman

Bro hoofs Received:
    Thanks, I will contact them. I tried contacting EGD in the past but got no answer from them. I will try again.

4. Flippyman

Bro hoofs Received:
    I have one question. If I understand correctly, I can post in this thread stuff about my book, right? I don't think it's against the rules.

One of the reasons I want to post more about it is that I just read in another thread that the site is dying. I would like more time to contribute more to the community first, but might as well do it now if this site is really dying. By the way. That's pretty sad.

5. Fenris Rose

Fenris Rose Going Through Changes
    Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    You can post information about the book, but if you want to post a link to the site where it's sold, you need admin permission.

I'd try asking @Minterwute or @Dragonbait, as @Tyro D. Fox seems to have died.

6. Flippyman

Bro hoofs Received:
    Ok, I will. Thanks for replying.

7. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Do you like bananas?
    Admin egg Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    ETL Developer
    The link to the RPG is Dragonbait approved. :blink:

8. Flippyman

Bro hoofs Received:
    Yay, thank you very, very much.

9. Tyro D. Fox

Tyro D. Fox Ho, hog, heg! I can does Game Dev thing, yes!
    Admin Veteran

Bro hoofs Received:
    Student
    Earth, Milky Way, A few thousand dots to the right
    I take a bit of a hiatus for Christmas and a bit of a break for my own sanity then everypony gets out the doom signs...The site is dead when 'Everypony.com' no longer brings you to this forum, as far as I'm concerned.

So, it's a d20 system? d6? It's neat that your going for a clearly younger audience in mind as there's not much you can recommend for kiddies learning Tabletop RPGs without having to hack D&D 5e or 3.5 until it's almost unrecognisable. There are 'roleplay heavy' systems but then they're often a little looser to play because their systems have no hard rules to follow. Some folk like the comforting embrace of stat tables and range calculations because it feels more like a thought out mechanic you can't fluff to cheat a hit or miss.

The only other thing like this that comes to mind is Golden Sky Stories. And I bet no one has heard of that. It's like Yokai Sesame Street where magical animals transform into humans in order to spread happiness or solve problems. It sounds adorable but something you need a very particular group to appreciate properly. Most Tabletop Players I know will take the ever loving mickey out of it by either trying to fight everything or by trying to take it to a brothel or get the characters drunk.

10. Flippyman

Bro hoofs Received:
    First of all, thank you for your nice reply.

It was the publisher idea to make it more appropriate for parents and children. That's where I simplified the system and made it so that it only uses 6-sided dice, which can be found in any other boardgame parents have around. That way, they can start playing right away, without having to order and buy other type of dice. But that's a great question, I'll make sure to point that out. That is also the reason why there are spaces for drawing your character and its house, and I found out that children do like to draw their characters. Some even color it.

You're also right that there's nothing much other than PG versions of "kill monsters, get treasure" RPGs for children. So far, no child has resorted to combat in all the playtests that I've made. Although it is included if you want to kick butt (literally XD). Yeah, it is much like that, making friends, solving mysteries and puzzles, figuring out what magic items do, helping others, etc.

Though if you want to smash things to pieces and shoot Fire Energy Rays at your opponents, you can do that too.

One of the things I've been told by people who have bought the book is that they like that it dedicates the first part to explain in simple terms what an RPG is to people who have never heard of the concept. They tell me it's a good way to introduce the hobby to new players, specially children.

Finally, some children have said they didn't want to play horses, but other animals, like wolves or even a flying manatee. Parents tell me that it's only the aesthetics that change, and the rules work fine with different animals.

Of course, if you want to kill your enemies and hear the lamentations of their women, then this is not the RPG for you. hehe.

11. Flippyman

Bro hoofs Received:
    I just updated the link with the image for the character sheet in the first post. However, I'm posting it here as well. I think it looks much better here:

http://imgur.com/a/tFHEl