Community Post #135 - The Many Colours of Pony #2 (Techically...)

Discussion in 'Community Posts' started by Tyro D. Fox, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Tyro D. Fox

Tyro D. Fox Ho, hog, heg! I can does Game Dev thing, yes!
    Admin Veteran

Bro hoofs Received:
    Student
    Earth, Milky Way, A few thousand dots to the right
    Just because I've redone the site doesn't mean this has to stop.

And here's a new type of Post. In The Many Colours of Pony we'll try looking at interesting things to do with My Little Pony. Especially things surrounding the show but there's plenty of figuring out little bits and pieces within the universe so far we can tackle.

This also means I'm retroactively making the last article Episode #1. Because I can. So there.

This week however...

Community Post #135
    [​IMG]

(original art by Spacekut)
    The
    Mystery of Nightmare Star
    So...As you all might know, I'm a big fan of the MLP:CCG and, as such, I tend to keep up with it's various releases. The latest release had some fantastic cards to play around with but the most interesting is the supposedly 'accidental' reveal of one particular card.

Nightmare Star.​

[​IMG]
    Kinda badass, huh?

So, we can extrapolate several pieces of information from this card.

First, that's obviously Celestia. I mean, obviously. The colour, the eyes, the proportions. It's Celestia. On top of that, we can see that little piece of flavour text underneath the card's abilities.

"The day shall last FOREVER!"

Where have we heard that before? OH YEAH! THAT WAS THE PLAN FOR NIGHTMARE MOON! Only with the day here instead of everlasting light. Both clearly being pretty sucky propositions.

We can also show that this card is definitely an antagonist. With the rough exception of the Discorded versions of the Mane Six, all other characters that have been created as a Troublemaker Card have been bad news. Everything from Discord to parasprites to two versions of Nightmare Moon herself. So, if she's in the show, an appearance in the game was always on the...well, cards.

Curiously, she's not been given the Villain status. Possibly to balance her as stopping all players exhausting their friends at will can have some catastrophic effect on certain decks.

But, how could that possibly happen? Nightmare Moon was destroyed, right? Luna became Nightmare Moon, consumed with jealousy until she emerged as the dark horse of the night.

So...How does Celestia get mixed up in this? Weeeeell...There is one explanation but it's not exactly certain how 'cannon' it is. I say this because it comes from the IDW comic books based on the show. Namely, The Nightmare Rarity arc.
    [​IMG]
    Proof, if there needed to be proof, that the IDW Comics are awesome!​

In the arc, the Mane Six experience regular nightmares. One night, Rarity is kidnapped by a black cloud, the same manifestation of darkness that Princess Luna succumb to in order to become Nightmare Moon. Rarity does the same, becoming Nightmare Rarity.

The Cloud of Evil wormed it's way in by praying on Rarity's insecurities until she gave a tiny amount of opening in the desire to help the things in the darkness that seem to be under the same influence. They poke at the idea of Rarity's generosity being ignored in favour of somepony else's. They pray on her fear of being forgotten entirely by her friends after being overshadowed by somepony else's frivolity. It uses that to worm juuuust enough trust to take over Rarity's form and create the dazzling and dangerous Unicorn above.

So, what if the same is to happen to Celestia?

The question is 'how?'. For starters, Celestia is pretty damn powerful and doesn't appear to have anything that a big Cloud of Evil could use to wiggle into Celestia's head. Rarity had a reasonably baseless but legit reason to be twitchy when that subject is brought up but Celestia has been given very few possibilities.

In the TV Show anyway. In the TV show, we could simply go for 'Oh no, my Kingdom has been taken over and I am powerless to stop it'.

That works but it doesn't give a reason as to why Nightmare Star would make Equestria an eternal day time. It seems kinda lazy as the character would be just a recolour of Nightmare Moon. Kinda disappointing...

However, it's the IDW comics to the rescue again.

In the Micro-Series book The Day Shift, Celestia and Luna argue over their daily and nightly duties. The upshot being that Luna agrees to take over Celestia's duties for the day to prove that she's just as capable as her sister. The result is that she drives herself nuts with the effort.​
    [​IMG]
    Also, she has a possum as a pet. Just because.
    According to this comic, Luna usually spends her time having adventures, fighting beasts and enjoying the peace of everything at night.

Celestia's day is filled with harshly regimented irritation and stuff to do. It's kinda miserable. She's expected to pointlessly address the Royal Guard, organise state visits, manage events, listen to boring meetings full of next to nothing and all at a constant, breakneck pace. It's kinda unpleasant.

So, how about if Celestia was jealous of Luna's easier life? Even just a little? And then it was blown all out of proportion by, say, a Cloud of Evil representing a literal embodiment of negative emotions and general malintent?

Just sayin'. Doesn't seem too implausible. The effects of the Cloud of Evil seems to make the host exaggerate some trait of the host with the desire to take over the world. Nightmare Moon had never ending night to screw with Equestria so why not never ending sunlight? It works just as well. Plus, it helps that she already rules Equestria.

Although, Nightmare Rarity just storms Ponyville with monsters. That's kinda it. Doesn't exactly fit but um...

Ah, I tried. Honestly, this could be anything. Considering that Enterplay hasn't been just making stuff up until now and actually using bits and pieces from the show as the basis for the cards, it's unlikely that this Ultra Rare isn't just something they made up.

This is a calculated sneak peak for something coming up. This is kinda big thing so I'm guessing this is a possible finale episode? I mean, it's Celestia turning evil! Come on! It's clearly going to be a Twilight episode.

But for now, we'll just have to see, eh! It's only a theory.

A Pony Theory! OK, OK, I'll have a proper catchphrase by next week...

- Site News

Artist - Song

Carbon Maestro - Equiterian Empire
    Delta Brony - Tree Hugger vs. The Smooze Theme
    Draconequus - Rainbow Factory (Metal Cover)
    Foozogz - Destination Paradise(Feat. ChiChi)
    Metal Core Pony - I'll Fly (Metal Instrumental Cover)
    New Reverian - Aurora Borealis (Metapony remix)
    Nicolas Dominique - The Forest
    Reverbrony - Blood Lust - Feat. Lupi Arts
    Vaceslav - Cold Feet
    Alex S - Ultimate Sweetie Belle VIP
    ALfiux - Vilnius (single)
    ArkticSkies - Life in the Sky
    BassoonBrony - The Smile Song
    Daniel Ingram - I'll Fly (Sim Gretina Remix)
    Glaze - Prototype VIP
    Scraton - Ponies (3rd Anniversary Special)
    VINYLZ - Eclipse (DJT Remix)
    Wind Wolf - FĂ«njeleni Alma (Song of the Forest)

So, new site means new bits and pieces so, I think I need to throw up a big ol' list of additional doodahs you're able to do in the new version of Everypony.com. So, for some of these, big thanks to Velvet Aria.

Man, old staff members can't leave things alone, huh? To be fair, I'd be the same...

Ahem! *sucks in a large breath*

• To reply to multiple posts, simply click reply on each new post and it will be quoted in the text box at the bottom.
    • Clicking on a User's name will now bring up a little box that will let you access some of their stuff, such as their account page. Click the big 'B' next to their name and you can go right to their blog page.
    • The Shoutbox is intended to be temporary but while it's here, remember that you can access it from both it's dedicated tab and in your sidebar. It's a little low down but it's right there.
    • Conversations operate identically to PM's. The difference is that they can have multiple members in the same conversation just by inviting more people. Handy-dandy thing that, ay?
    • The site will now automatically let you know about all sorts of things if you subscribe to them. The Alerts tab can tell you about new profile posts, forum posts and even new likes.
    • The Mention Tag is back. This time a little pop up box will appear to help you thin down who you mean.
    • Looking for BB Codes to jazz up your Posts? They're right here.
    • Customising the way your Blog Looks hasn't gone anywhere but it has become a little more involved. Simply go to your blog page and pick 'Customise Blog', which will be sitting right above your Avatar. From there, have a play until it looks just how you want it.
    • Speaking of Blogs, you no longer need to flick through page links in order to view every post in either a single block or the entire section. Simply scrolling down further than the page appears to allow will load in more blogs until you run out, creating this massive list of blogs you can freely browse through.
    • New Members will be asked to make a post in the Introduction Thread before they do anything else. Hey! We want to get to know you so, please, tell us about yourself before you do anything else.
    So, lots to play with for now. Please bare with us while we figure things out. We can't devote full time to everything all the site (especially since I started my new job) so, things are likely to come out at weird points in the week as we work around real life.

- Recommended Reading

Now to wind up the ol' batting arm...

WG 101 has done us a poem based on Games. So, get some culture in you, I guess...

*click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click* *click*

So, resident thinker the otter, has given us a couple of nuggets of his wisdom. One is about Danny McBride and the other is to aspiring writers about controversy. So, a real balancing act between useful and inane but at least he's sincer.

Morphin' is back with a few reviews of his own, along with the Mane Six for their closing thoughts. One of them being all about The Amasing Spiderman II. Another is about the...seriously? The Mortal Kombat: The Journey Begins?! Owch...My condolences. And you've seen some of the stuff I've reviewed.

Time to get HYPED for BUCK 2016 in the UK! Wooo!

Soul Ember was there at EFNW. Something I know about because he's threatened to dump all the videos and such on me at some point he took while there. So, that's cool. Talk to him about it. Maybe you saw him there!

Anyone got some beef with Spike? Or maybe you'll like to proclaim why you love the little spikey-wikie-woo! Here's somewhere to do so.

Diamond brings us the sad news that Hasbro has shut down Cinema Equestria. If you used that service, I'm sure there are other places to watch the show.

Otherwise, got to wonder if this was careless of calculated by Hasbro. Are they displaying dominance or just being twitchy?

Lastly, Avril Lavigne has been pictured wearing FiM wristbands on her twitter. Neat, I guess?

Personally, not overly fussed with celebrities showing show loyalty but that's because I tend to keep my head in the sand on such things.

And that should be it for this week. Sorry about this taking so long to make. I've been acclimitising to my new job and so, this has been pushed back again and again.

If you'd like to help out, please use that tag function to tag blogs and posts you think would be worth writing about.

Remember to tag me so I get to see them. You do it like this: ' @Tyro The Fox ' .

Anyway, I'm gonna go collapse. See you guys later.

#1 Tyro D. Fox, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  2. Saikyo

Saikyo That One Dog
    Veteran

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Fighting Game Player
    T'was my pleasure to help. I'm not around often, but this old dog still has some tricks left.

3. RainbowDash9000

RainbowDash9000 Mistress of Awesomeness
    Wizard

Bro hoofs Received:
    Yay! You're still making these!

4. Tyro D. Fox

Tyro D. Fox Ho, hog, heg! I can does Game Dev thing, yes!
    Admin Veteran

Bro hoofs Received:
    Student
    Earth, Milky Way, A few thousand dots to the right
    Thanks! Keep it up.

Of course! Why wouldn't I?

5. LostSanity

LostSanity Official Anti-Brony
    Veteran

Bro hoofs Received:
    Unemployed
    I have a strange suspicion that 'Nightmare Star' will be the MLP Movie villain.

Just saying.

I could be wrong and it could be S6 or future season villain, but, if this is going to happen, it should happen in the 2017 Movie.

Just my opinion obviously though.

::S:

MorphinBrony bro hoofs this.
  6. MorphinBrony

MorphinBrony Me me big boy
    Veteran

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Eventually
    [​IMG]
    Best idea since waffles in barbecues sauce.

[​IMG]
    What has been seen cannot be unseen.

7. Diamond

Diamond Innocent Angel
    Veteran

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    A sundent in a high school for the gifted.
    *Yays for some particular reasons*

You still do it! : D

Oh, and by the way, Avril Lavigne posted on her Facebook, not Twitter.Just saying.

8. Jason Martin

Jason Martin EP's Resident Aviators Guru
    Regular

Bro hoofs Received:
    (Almost) Indie Singer/Songwriter
    Lost in the lovely world of Aviators Music
    You know...that day/night comic kinda reminds me of an episode of Wish It Inc.; a job switch because someone thought the other's job was hard/easy. Quite funny.