Pony Decline.

Discussion in 'General MLP Discussion' started by VG_Addict, Oct 19, 2015.

1. VG_Addict

VG_Addict A Pony Every Pony Should Know
    Regular

Bro hoofs Received:
  2. Fenris Rose

Fenris Rose Going Through Changes
    Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    They know how they screwed up, and announced how they intend to fix it. Pretty standard corporate stuff.

3. LostSanity

LostSanity Official Anti-Brony
    Veteran

Bro hoofs Received:
    Unemployed
    They're just realizing this now?

That should have been obvious.

However... better late than never? I guess?

:dunno:

Anyway... I'm not worried. Let's not hit the panic button until we hear the following word:

"Cancelled"

::S:

4. Rockout E. Stringer

Rockout E. Stringer Feelin' guitty!!
    Community Moderator egg Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Graphic Artist
    Hell, one of the writers even said on Twitter that they don't worry about the ratings and we shouldn't either. Wishful thinking... maybe. Even if the show WERE cancelled, I think the fandom would still be around for a while.

[​IMG]

5. Dilly Star

Dilly Star The Dilliest in the Galaxy
    Veteran

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    I think part of what he's trying to imply in that tweet is that the viewers dictate the ratings (in part). Ratings don't dictate viewership, at least not directly. They can indirectly influence it by altering the environment in which the show is received, but ultimately if enough people want it and the team is still willing to make it, ratings aren't the most important thing.

6. Enalis Nailo

Enalis Nailo Tau Kappa Epsilon
    Regular

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Lol, work :D
    I'm not worried about ratings. There's obviously a HUGE amount of people still watching it, just not on tv. I don't watch it on TV, and I don't know anyone who does.

7. Tarsily

Tarsily Super Cool Bat Pony

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    The Lunar Guard Reserves
    As long as we watch the show regularly their ratings should be fine. So a decline in ratings would be on us. The black box near your TV gathers the shows and channels you watch, so as long as you aren't watching the show exclusively on Netflix, it will get good ratings.

8. Fenris Rose

Fenris Rose Going Through Changes
    Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    What black box? Why do you have a black box? I never had a black box, and I've been watching TV for decades!

9. Blackened Blue

Blackened Blue The Element of Metal
    Veteran

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    World champion of typing names with my eyes closed
    I think we'll be fine as long as the show isn't cancelled. It seems to be doing well right now, in terms of ratings.

10. Nights☆

Nights☆ Marceline

Bro hoofs Received:
    Vampire Queen
    You know, it's funny that this is coming to light now. I wonder what could possibly be different from years past? There's always been the gap between seasons so why is this just now becoming a big deal. It couldn't possibly be due to the fact that countless fan productions that were released during those gaps and throughout the rest of the year are being shut down with a zero tolerance policy. Could it?

I don't know. It was always the norm for me to go to youtube while waiting for the next season. I'd find some animations, laugh, and be good until the next season started airing. Oh wait, it's probably that exact reason. People get bored easily and when you have to wait an entire year for a show, doesn't matter what it is, you start to lose interest. Entire fandoms have become extinct for less. So here's my solution to Hasbro's problem.

All they have to do is quit sending out their C&D orders. Tell youtube to quit taking down fan made content. Give your fandom a little bit more leeway when it comes to projects. If I had a cool game to play or an animation to watch during the wait, I wouldn't lose interest. It won't cost them money, on the contrary. It'll actually make them money. It's free advertising. Some of the content does things they can't really do in the show, which appeals to the older audience. A lot of the content is still show accurate in terms of being rated E.

It doesn't make sense for Hasbro to keep "protecting their intellectual property" when it's costing them in the end. How many people in this fandom do you know who have made something about the show be it writing, animation, music, etc? Just about everyone. I've done my fair share of fanart and fanfiction. We do those things because we want to share our ideas and our love for the show, or any show. So why would Hasbro see it all burn? I doubt this will ever get to them as I don't plan on sending them anything but I think they should try to not be so prude about the whole thing. I bet their sales wouldn't see much of a decrease during the period between seasons.

Sorry to use this as fuel for a little rant but I honestly can't fathom why they haven't figured this out yet. I don't know. I'll always be a fan of the show, decline or not. I'd hate to see the show go under but nothing lasts forever. Hopefully they resolve the problem as they said they would. I look forward to watching the show for many years to come.

-Nights