Trump wins. Now what?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Fenris Rose, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaniith

Xaniith Princess of the Forum
    Old-Timer

Bro hoofs Received:
    Fair enough, I'm happy to see us not turning to blows on the issue.

I think the protests are half justified. Obviously, the damage caused and vandalism should never be allowed, but exercising the right to protest and march is admirable. Trump hypocritically
    called for such protests last time with Obama, as well as complaining about the electoral college/popular vote.
    [​IMG]

I've probably heard about the protests a lot less than Americans; I don't seem to see much news about it, except for a couple days after the election results and the current women's marches.
    People seem to say that the marches don't matter, or that they don't change anything since he's still the Pres. rather than actually addressing their concerns. I like the idea of them showing "we're all in this together" so to speak.

HOWEVER, I've seen a lot of questionable and silly things to do with the marches, like leaving tons of signs on the side of the road after the march, for others to clean up. As well as people marching, not really knowing why they're doing so and what the message is. An alt-right person getting interviewed getting sucker punched, a trump supporter's hair getting lit on fire. Unnecessary and unreasonable acts, just bringing the legitimacy of the protests and what they represent down.

2. M14Brony

M14Brony Turns the friggin' frogs gay.
    Regular

Bro hoofs Received:
    Maintenance Mechanic/Building Engineer
    It's unfortunate that "black blocs" and other such groups occasionally show up (there are times when their actions result in the police cracking down on the protests as a whole), but most of the protestors had nothing to do with such actions (it also isn't always possible to prevent hooligan elements from appearing).

I'll lay odds that Trump would have hypocritically called on his followers to protest a "rigged" election if Hillary Clinton ended up winning the elections. His contradictory zig-zags ultimately result from his opportunistic, unprincipled stances.

It cannot be predicted with any certainty how such protest movements will unfold in the future, but they are indicative that there is already heavy opposition (these were some of the largest political protests in US history) to Trump's administration (he lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million ballots and was the least popular president-elect in decades). It will be interesting to see a good deal of those who voted for Trump inevitably join such opposition in the future (I posted sources above at an earlier time showing how Trump's policies won't benefit his blue collar support base, and his cabinet picks only reinforce that).

In terms of signs being left behind, the broader context isn't typically being covered. Granted, the tactic of piling signs as a form of protest in itself isn't productive, but given the absence of a lead from the labor movement (it has decayed under decades of liberal leadership that is in bed with the bosses) or a serious, organized lead by those who organized the demonstrations, confused and/or counter-productive elements will inevitably be present. Was punching Richard Spencer productive? No. But that being said, I have zero sympathy for someone who wants to put me in a gas chamber. And let us not forget that Trump had a history of encouraging violence against demonstrators on the campaign trail.

Proxy bro hoofs this.
  3. LostSanity

LostSanity Official Anti-Brony
    Veteran

Bro hoofs Received:
    Unemployed
    LostSanity's 'common sense' post of the day:

There are no such things as 'Alternative Facts' there are only 'facts.' PERIOD.

'Alternative Facts' ARE NOT facts.

Flippyman bro hoofs this.
  4. Dragonbait

Dragonbait Do you like bananas?
    Admin egg Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    ETL Developer
    Flippyman bro hoofs this.
  5. Xaniith

Old-Timer

Bro hoofs Received:
    1984 is now the #1 best selling book on Amazon after the "Alternative Facts" controversy.
    [​IMG]

It's troubling to see how badly Trump is handling the media facts and embarrassment, as well as how much lying has been going on.
    Then there's the laughable voter fraud accusation.

Proxy bro hoofs this.
  6. Dragonbait

Admin egg Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    ETL Developer
  7. Fenris Rose

Fenris Rose Going Through Changes
    Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    The private email server wasn't the issue, it was the fact that it wasn't approved or secured.
    And I highly doubt that his unsecured phone is being used to view classified material.

8. Xaniith

Old-Timer

Bro hoofs Received:
    http://europe.newsweek.com/trump-emails-rnc-reince-priebus-white-house-server-548191?rm=eu

So they have addresses, but there's no evidence they're still using them or using them in a way that circumvents the law?

Currently, I only see this is liberal media trying to call hypocrisy since Trump went on and on about the Shillary's emails, but this is different, or as far as we know. If there is incriminating evidence from these addresses, then we're talking hypocrisy.
    Even as someone fearful of his administration, people calling them out on things like this that aren't actually worthy of crying out about will only de-legitimize the media further.

If there are bad bad letters, that's a no no.

He needs to lose his insecure phone though.

9. Proxy

Proxy Resident Lurker
    Veteran

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Student
    For once I agree with you.

10. Dragonbait

Admin egg Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    ETL Developer
    Ok, the emails thing was not vetted enough. That's on me. However, some more funny things happened today from the Trump administration...

Steve Bannon and Tiffany Trump were registered to vote in two states. Exactly what Trump said part of his accusations of voter fraud is about. I somehow get the feeling these two won't be investigated though...
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/01/steve-bannon-is-registered-to-vote-in-two-states.html

Spicer tweeted out his Twitter password. Hope he changed it. Good job picking the best people there...
    https://twitter.com/firescotch/status/824614500255031296

And some encouraging news from Al Franken on fighting for Net Neutrality
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/franken-fight-every-step-way-003434600.html

Good on Dan Rather for putting up a stand against fake news and "alternative facts" (lies)
    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/...news-alternative-facts-and-it-s-taking-flight
    https://www.facebook.com/theDanRather/
    https://www.facebook.com/newsandguts/

11. Fenris Rose

Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
  12. Dragonbait

Admin egg Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    ETL Developer
  13. Fenris Rose

Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    This will have an impact on a lot more that guacamole.
    Ideally, a tax on cheap imported goods from Mexico would have not only encourage people to buy American, it would also discourage American companies from manufacturing goods in Mexico in the first place.

Obviously, fewer Americans buying Mexican goods and paying the tax would mean that it would take longer than the initial estimate to recoup the cost of the wall, but I personally consider it to be a fair trade off to have more American money stay in America.

14. Xaniith

Old-Timer

Bro hoofs Received:
    Sooooo goods from Mexico just got 20% more expensive so the American taxpayer is directly paying for the wall.

I imagine Drumpf supporters, though, will see this as him sticking it to the Mexicans...conveniently forgetting that American companies have factories, farms, etc in Mexico and they will 100% pass that cost to the consumer.

The increase in price might not be 1-to-1 (as in it will be less than 20%), though we won't know for sure because there are too many unknowns right now. That said, some will suffer more than others, particularly, ironically, those in Western border states that rely quite a bit on produce from Mexico. Also, This type of import tax is not only against NAFTA but against the WTO as well. Whether or not anyone has the spine to punish the USA over this, though, well...that is another open question.

I believe this is in addition to the money Congress is fronting to pay for this stupid wall. In one big swoop, Drumpf will waste $20 billion on an ineffective project then raise the cost Mexican imports by 20%.

#234 Xaniith, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    Flippyman and Proxy bro hoofs this.
  15. Fenris Rose

Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    The tax isn't being directly paid by the consumer, though. I get what you're saying, but the tax itself will be paid by companies that import from Mexico into the US. And yeah, the companies are obviously going to raise prices as a result, but at this point I really do think the wall is worth building even if this is how it's paid for.

Cheap Mexican imports have been a huge problem for American for decades. I've seen people lose farms that have been in the family for over a century because they just couldn't compete with cheap, inferior imported produce.
    A punitive tariff on these imports is a huge step towards solving that problem. The obvious next step is ending NAFTA.

Rockout E. Stringer bro hoofs this.
  16. Dragonbait

Admin egg Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    ETL Developer
    Eluuna bro hoofs this.
  17. Xaniith

Old-Timer

Bro hoofs Received:
  18. Dragonbait

Admin egg Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    ETL Developer
  19. Fenris Rose

Deactivated Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    he religious protection one needs to be done very carefully, but I do agree with it.
    I don't think that a Catholic-owned business should be forced to pay for contraceptives, and I don't think that a Christian-owned bakery should be forced to make a wedding cake for a gay couple.
    While I personally support gay marriage and contraceptive use, I understand that not everybody does.

However, the danger comes in the inevitable event of somebody taking the law too far, and somebody being hurt or denied necessary treatment.
    Obviously, the order should not be signed until and unless it is written to protect everybody.

As for the other one, why shouldn't religious organizations be allowed a voice in the government? Everyone else is, no matter how absurd or immoral their platform.

20. Dragonbait

Admin egg Old-Timer

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    ETL Developer

Both things you mention here are going to happen. Sooner rather than later.

Because they don't pay taxes. If they want to give up their tax exempt status then fine. But that will never happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.