A Truly Beautiful Morning

Discussion in 'Shorts' started by MattyJei, Aug 15, 2011.

1. MattyJei

MattyJei Practically Part of the Site Itself

Bro hoofs Received:
    It was shaping up to be a beautiful day in Ponyville. The sun was rising over the horizon, and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. The temperature of the air was comfortable, and birds sung the morning chorus as the morning began. Even though all mornings in Ponyville were quite glorious, this one was looking like it was going to be one of the best ever.

In her home, Fluttershy was just beginning to wake up. She yawned softly, and opened her eyes slowly. She softly hopped out of her bed, and crawled to her bedroom window, opening it up to look outside.

Wow, what a wondrous morning!

Fluttershy was in awe as she gazed out the window, her breath taken away as she gazed at the beautiful sunrise and cloudless sky. She smiled a soft smile, and looked into the vast blue expanse.

Wow, I don’t know if I’ve ever seen such a beautiful morning, and not a cloud in the sky; Rainbow Dash must have worked so hard last night…

Her thought process was interrupted here, as she recalled the previous night. Her soft smile immediately melted into a very unhappy-looking frown.

Oh, that’s right. Rainbow Dash got mad with me yesterday and hates me now…

“Hey, Fluttershy! Hurry up a bit so we can make it to the place on time!”

“I…I’m going as fast…as fast as I can…”

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were headed towards a team flying competition they both planned to participate in at the far end of Ponyville; it was just outside the city, in an area visited very infrequently by any of the six friends. In fact, had been so long since Fluttershy had been out to this place that she had totally forgotten the way; she had asked Rainbow Dash to direct her, but she had forgotten to take into account that Rainbow Dash was a really fast flyer, and wasn’t exactly the patient type.

“Come on! We’re gonna miss the show if you don’t get your wings into gear!”

“I…I’m trying…Rainbow Dash…”

Fluttershy attempted to increase her speed, despite her discomfort with going fast, and was just beginning to catch up. Suddenly, Rainbow Dash took a sharp turn, and Fluttershy was going too fast to slow down in time to make the turn; she flew right past where Rainbow Dash had turned. She tried to stop, but as she did so she somersaulted in midair and landed with a thud on the ground below.

“Ouch…”

She slowly stood up, and looked back to see where Rainbow Dash had turned. Unfortunately, all she could see around her was a road with a number of turn-offs and paths that could be taken. She began to panic.

Oh, dear, what am I going to do? Rainbow Dash is not going to be happy that I lost her…

Fluttershy began walking down various paths, and eventually found the correct one. However, it had taken her a good part of the afternoon to find the right path, and by the time she got to the place where the competition was taking place, the competition was long over. Fluttershy saw Rainbow Dash near the entrance of the arena, looking very cross.

Fluttershy flew up to Rainbow Dash, but couldn’t bring herself to make eye contact.

“Rainbow Dash…I…”

Rainbow Dash was livid, and immediately began to lambast Fluttershy.

“Where have you been?! It’s been hours, and now the competition is over! I had to forfeit the team you and I were to make up because you didn’t show up!”

Fluttershy was taken aback a little, and tried to reply.

“I’m sorry…I…”

Rainbow Dash didn’t give her time to finish her statement.

“This competition was very important to me! The winners would have gotten a chance to spend a whole weekend with the WonderBolts at a flight resort! I thought we had agreed to have me lead you here; what happened?!”

Fluttershy was now cringing, and looked as if she were going to cry.

“I…”

Rainbow Dash wasn’t willing to listen, and she kept on yelling.

“You know what? It doesn’t matter, because I’ve lost my chance to see them. I hope you’re happy!”

With that, Rainbow Dash took off into the sky with such fury that the gust of wind caused by her take-off knocked Fluttershy back a bit. Fluttershy stared up into the sky as Rainbow Dash became a small dot on the horizon, and then broke into tears.

“She hates me now…I’ll never see her again…”

She slowly flew herself home, sobbing softly the whole way.

As she remembered yesterday, Fluttershy became very unhappy; the beautiful morning no longer meant anything to her. She slowly trudged into her kitchen, and then sat down at her table. She began to cry again, lamenting yesterday’s catastrophe.

“I…I can’t believe…I’m sorry, Rainbow Dash…”

Suddenly, there was a knock on Fluttershy’s door. She looked up, curious as to who it could be at this hour of the day. She slowly walked to the door, and opened it up to find Rainbow Dash. She had a batch of roses in her muzzle and a very ashamed look on her face.

“Hey, Fluttershy…”

“Rainbow Dash…”

Fluttershy looked like she would pass out. She hoped that Rainbow Dash wasn’t here to yell at her again, although she knew she messed up badly the day before. However, before she could say anything, Rainbow Dash put the roses at her feet, and immediately began to talk quickly.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry for yesterday! I didn’t mean any of it; I was just so disappointed that we couldn’t participate in the competition, and then I got so wrapped up in my thoughts of frustration and anger that I got madder and madder, and then you came hours later and I blew up. I didn’t even consider that you got lost and couldn’t even find your way, and last night I was so ashamed of myself and worried about you and I…”

She was panting for breath at this point, and looked at Fluttershy apologetically.

“…and I’m sorry! I got so upset last night that I couldn’t sleep, and got a head start on all the cloud clearing…”

Fluttershy took a minute to take it all in.

That’s why the morning looks so wonderful today…wait, she’s apologizing, which means she doesn’t hate me!

Fluttershy slowly broke into a soft grin, and looked at Rainbow Dash with an expression of relief.

“Oh, thank goodness. I was worried you hated me.”

Now it was Rainbow Dash’s turn to be taken aback.

“Hate you? I could never hate you! You mean a lot to me, and you’re a dear friend. I just lost my temper.”

She then grinned sheepishly.

“It’s something I kinda gotta work on…”

Fluttershy got a warm look in her eyes, and leaned in to gently nuzzle Rainbow Dash.

“Aww, it’s okay. Thank you for coming and telling me this. I’m sorry I lost my way.”

Rainbow Dash nuzzled Fluttershy back, and then shook her head.

“Don’t you apologize. I lost my temper, and I never want to hurt you again. Friends?”

Rainbow Dash offered her hoof to Fluttershy in a gesture for a hoof-shake. Fluttershy slowly broke into a full smile, and not only took the hoof in a shake, but hugged Rainbow Dash gently.

“Friends forever.”

2. Matt Pony

Matt Pony An Everypony Regular

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    A nice, simple story. It seems like it's in a good position to be continued someday, if you ever want.

3. MattyJei

Bro hoofs Received:
    Thank you so much for the comment, and I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :3

I wrote it as a one-shot short story, to be honest. However, if the mood swings me, perhaps I'll make it a series of shorts.

4. Yetione

Yetione Local snowpony

Cutie Mark:
    Bro hoofs Received:
    Software developer
    good-good.
    story well written, and had good ending with character's real personality's.
    good job.

5. MattyJei

Bro hoofs Received:
    Aww, thank you so much for the comment and thoughts on my story. I was worried that I wouldn't get the character's personalities across properly; I'm glad to hear that you felt I did!

6. Silverpony

Silverpony Practically Part of the Site Itself

Bro hoofs Received:
    N/A
    I think this was a great short story. I'm not sure if RD would wait for hours without trying to find Fluttershy, but that's a simple, small flaw in a well written piece. Nice job on this!

7. MattyJei

Bro hoofs Received:
    Thank you so much for your reply! I'm elated to see that people are taking an interest in this.

You make a good point about Rainbow Dash. I guess I just wanted to show some passage of time so both characters could process what happened and the story could be spaced well, but I understand what you mean. I'll consider that in the future.

Thanks again for your reply!

8. Silverpony

Bro hoofs Received:
    N/A
    I can give you a simple fix to this minor (And it is very minor) problem if you'd like to hear it. If you don't want to edit the story that's fine too. All is good.

9. MattyJei

Bro hoofs Received:
    I probably won't edit the story, but I'd love to hear the tip so I can keep it in mind for future things I write here.

Go ahead and tell me.

10. Silverpony

Bro hoofs Received:
    N/A
    The problem is it's not a tip for future things, it just addresses that problem. You could have RD look for Fluttershy after waiting a few minutes but Fluttershy strayed off the straight path. That would explain why it took Fluttershy hours and RD would have a reason to be her hot-headed self over time as opposed to one thing being the onset of such a rant.

11. MattyJei

Bro hoofs Received:
    Oh, I see what you mean! Sorry for the misunderstanding about your intent; thank you for posting the tip.

12. Silverpony

Bro hoofs Received:
    N/A
    Not a problem! You should keep up the writing! I should do the same...>_> *Runs to work on fic*

13. MattyJei

Bro hoofs Received:
    Aww, thanks! I'll try to post stories as they come into my mind. :3

14. Rashall

Rashall Master of the Veil Fire

Bro hoofs Received:
    Associate at Harborfreight Tools
    Great story short but to the point, I really think you should write anther one because this was really good. I'm sort of a freelance writer in my own odd way but I would not have it any other way!!!!

15. MattyJei

Bro hoofs Received:
    Wow, how nice to receive a reply so long after I wrote this; thank you so much! I'm so glad you liked the story. I'll try to write another one when the mood and inspiration swing me to do so.

16. Rashall

Bro hoofs Received:
    No prob, keep it up if ever you find that you have nothing to do at your computer simply write something. It really is fun, speaking of which I came up with a revision of my fanfic for this site need to write it down or something!!!

17. MattyJei

Bro hoofs Received:
    Oh, I totally agree: I love writing. My only issue is that I usually need some kind of inspiration; I need something that gives me an idea. Usually it happens on the fly and I need to write it down immediately.

I'll make sure I let you know when I write something new. :3

18. Rashall

Bro hoofs Received:
    make sure your read some of the more lengthy stories here on site, you never know where your inspiration might come from next, just a suggestion!!!!

19. greyOne

greyOne Princess of the Forum
    Banned

Bro hoofs Received:
    Code for Hire
    Dawwww.
    On a more serious note;
    I love how well you captured Fluttershy's
    Shy personality in your writing!
    It's a very good read,
    And I don't care that it's short.
    It's nothing short of amazing.

20. MattyJei

Bro hoofs Received:
    ^///^ Thank you so much, greyOne! I'm so glad to hear that someone else thought I got the personalities right.